With an excellent sailing facility, boats, and a great coach in place, recruiting has been identified as one of the important pieces missing in order to put this team back at the top. The team has been actively trying to ramp up their recruiting efforts. The creation of a dedicated web site, the mailings and phone calls to high schools, sailing team coaches and junior sailors, are a few of the recent activities initiated to attract talented young sailors to URI. A few of our alumni have been active in supporting this effort. You too can contribute to the recruiting effort and to the team in general in many ways. I encourage our alumni to consider the following:
- Be generous with your donations
- Visit the URI sailing center and introduce yourself
- Participate in a practice session or two
- Go to a college regatta and cheer on the team (Click for the regatta schedule)
- Participate in the David Konigsberg Cup URI alumni regatta.
- Talk to the high school sailors at your local yacht club or in your community and encourage them to take a look at URI.
- Go to a high school regatta or junior sailing regatta and scout talent.
- Offer to provide a seminar on some aspect of your sailing experience, be it the Olympics, America’s cup, sail-making, or whatever.
- Call or email Coach Skip and ask him if there is anything you can do to help.
Don’t under estimate the contribution you have to offer these students and the team as a whole. Please get involved and do your part to help rebuild this team into the number one college sailing team in the nation!
Class of ’83